LAST UPDATED: 18th APRIL 2017
Kenya National Examinations Council has stopped the replacement of lost, defaced and burnt certificates. Anyone requiring replacement would instead be given a notification sheet indicating he or she sat the examination in question
Here are the requirements and steps needed to replace your lost KNEC certificate in Kenya.
- KNEC currently replaces certificates of the years 1981-2010 and takes about 60 days to process.
- Processed certificates MUST be collected within 2 years from the date of application by the owner. In the case of a minor s/he should be accompanied by one of the parents
- Certificate replacements can only be done only once
Before applying for the replacement, you must ensure you possess the below personal details and they should be accurate.
1. Your name
2. School/college/examination centre
3. Name of examination and year sat for
4. Full index number and month series
5. National ID/passport number/birth certificate
6. Your address, telephone number, fax number, email address
7. Your signature
Also you must possess the below documents:
1. Copy of certificate(s) or result slip(s)
2. Police abstract indicating loss of the certificate(s) – ORIGINAL COPY
3. Recommendation letters addressed to KNEC
– From head-teacher of the school attended – ORIGINAL COPY
– From CDE/DEO for private candidates or those whose schools have closed down – ORIGINAL COPY
– From employer – ORIGINAL COPY
4. Sworn legal affidavit on identity of applicant – ORIGINAL COPY
5. Copy of national ID/passport/birth certificate
- Names on national ID must tally with those used during the examination.
- Applicants who have legally changed their names must attach the legal documents used to change the name.
6. KNEC bank deposit slip is available in the following banks: (Equity, Co-operative bank of Kenya, National bank of Kenya and Kenya Commercial Bank) – ORIGINAL COPY
Payment of the replacement certificate involves a non-refundable fee of shs.5800 per certificate
- KNEC does NOT accept cheques.
- Deposit bank slips MUST be presented within 12 months from the date of deposit.
If you have secured all the above details and relevant documents stated above, download the
Carefully fill in the details required and attach the relevant documents to accompany the form and send them to the below postal address:
Council secretary/Chief Executive,
Kenya National Examinations Council,
P.O Box 73598-00200,
City Square, Nairobi.